skip to Main Content

High quality 3D printed parts require a professional 3D printer capable of precision manufacturing

Learn why the Envision One cDLM is faster, easier to use, and more innovative than all the other 3D printers on the market.

Compare the Formlabs Form 3/3L vs. the Envision One cDLM:

Formlabs Form 3/3L


Low Force Stereolithography (LFS)

Envision One cDLM


Continuous Digital Light Manufacturing (cDLM)

EnvisionTEC’s patented cDLM Technology speeds up the DLP printing process by adding a thin layer of oxygen between the layer being cured and the material tray. This layer of oxygen inhibits the resin from curing, which in turn adds many exciting properties. 

Advantages of cDLM


Formlab’s LFS process requires each layer to be cured one at a time, with the laser working to “draw” every detail of each layer across the entire build platform. 

cDLM technology utilizes oxygen to reduce the separation forces between the material tray and the build platform. Less separation forces result in much faster prints because we no longer need to pause and reposition the build platform between each layer. This, in turn, cuts seconds off of the time needed to build each layer.

LFS technology is capable of printing up to 4 mm per hour….
cDLM technology can print up to 80 mm per hour


Parts printed on the Envision One cDLM have isotropic properties or consistent part properties in all directions. This is especially important in the Z-direction because other 3D printing methods such as Formlabs’ LFS have less strength in the Z-axis. This has caused 3D printer users to strategically orient their objects on the build envelope for optimal strength in certain axes or enhance final material properties with post-curing strategies. Parts printed continuously do not have clear weak points between layers and are consistent throughout with a smooth surface finish. Most importantly for dental, isotropic properties translates to incredible strength for long-term use in the mouth. 

LFS technology has low separation forces…
cDLM technology has none

Formlabs Form 3/3L


405 nm

Envision One cDLM


385 nm

Currently, most 3D printers on the market, Form 3/3L included, use a 405 nm wavelength light source, which was designed for standard film projection. The industrial 385 nm wavelength projector utilized by the Envision One was designed and optimized for 3D printing.

Why does a 385 nm wavelength produce better quality parts than 405 nm?

A 385 nm wavelength cures 96% of the part during the printing process. 405 nm cures only around 80% of the part, which leads to light bleeding and curling issues. With 20% of the model left to cure, this allows for a higher chance of shrinkage and curling during post-processing. With a 385 nm wavelength, the green model is cured to 96% which leaves only 4% to cure during post-processing. This reduces the chances of curling by 5 times.

405 nm wavelength leads to light bleeding and curling issues…
385 nm wavelength leads to precise parts and better accuracy

Formlabs Form 3/3L

Native pixel size 85 µm

Open material system No

Layer thickness 25 – 100 µm (material dependent)

Build envelope 145 x 145 x 185 mm

Envision One cDLM

Native pixel size 93 µm (60 µm with Contour Gray Scaling)

Open material system Yes – select approvals

Layer thickness 50 – 125 µm (material dependent)

Build envelope 180 x 101 x 175 mm

A professional 3D printer, made of high-quality components, capable of precision manufacturing!

Contact EnvisionTEC to learn more about the Envision One cDLM from our experienced sales team!

Was this article helpful?

×Close search
Back to top