The print quality delivered by 3D printers is highly dependent on materials. To get excellent printed parts and details, it is necessary to select the right material and handle it properly. This article covers essential guidelines for maintaining materials in the right way in order to always 3D print successfully.
Selecting materials properly
EnvisionTEC offers materials for various industries, which makes it possible to print dental parts, jewelry models, tools, molds, and other details. Each material has technical characteristics that determine its compatibility with EnvisionTEC printers and the type of printed parts it would be suitable for.
With a variety of printing materials, it is important to select the right one that would meet your requirements. Thus, do not hesitate to contact EnvisionTEC’s expert sales for advice regarding materials for your prints.
Ensuring proper environmental conditions for the printer
Before adding material to the material tray, make sure that the environmental conditions are appropriate for your printer. There is a set of essential rules to follow for ensuring the best performance of your printer:
- Keep the printer away from air conditioners, heaters, and other climate control systems.
- Make sure that the printer is distant enough from the sources of water.
- Do not expose the printer to any direct sunlight or UV radiation.
- Place the printer in the areas without smoke, steam, or dust.
- Keep the temperature and humidity levels as indicated for the particular printer model.
The User Manual for your printer contains an extended set of rules regarding environmental conditions. Refer to those guidelines to ensure proper and stable work of your printer.
Adding material to the material tray
Before starting to print, make sure to properly prepare the specific material based on the guidelines stated in the Material Safety Data Sheet. This document is always supplied together with the material bottle and is also accessible online.
Take the following steps to add material to the material tray:
- Open the printer door or hood (depending on your printer model).
- Remove the material tag that is attached to the material bottle and place it on the material tag reader.
- Shake the material bottle and then open it.
- Pour the material slowly into the material tray and mix it thoroughly using the spatula.
- Close the printer door or hood.
After adding printing material to the material tray, it is essential to keep it well-maintained all the time.
Even when the printer is idle, keep the hood door closed in order to protect the material from the ambient light.
Preparing material for print
Before starting each job, it is necessary to prepare material properly to obtain the best quality of the printed parts.
Mix the material using the rubber spatula carefully until it gets a uniform color.
Filter the material if any debris is found in it.
Maintaining material trays
To ensure the quality of printed details, the material tray should be in excellent condition. The approximate lifespan of the material tray is up to 1000 hours of print time or around 200 print jobs. The job counter feature on Envision One and D4K printers helps to determine when the material tray should be substituted.
Use a different material tray for each type of printing material. When that is not possible, clean the material tray when switching printing materials and use the debris removal feature for better results.